Hurricane Sandy - Various Aid & Information Links
Sunday, November 4, 2012
For Disaster Survivors
- Registering for Assistance: survivors in declared counties in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut can register for assistance. Learn more: information and FAQs before you apply for assistance.
- Shelters: for those who are unable to return home, states, tribes, localities and the Red Cross continue to operate emergency shelters along the East Coast.
- Download the Red Cross Hurricane app, visit the Red Cross web site, call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767), or check local media outlets.
- Download the FEMA smartphone app.
- To search for shelters via text message, text: SHELTER andyour zip code to 43362 (4FEMA). For example: Shelter 01234 (Standard rates apply).
- Recovery Tips: ensuring your safety and coping with disasters
State and Local Websites
For Those Who Want to Help
- Cash is best: the best way to support survivors of Hurricane Sandy is to make a financial contribution to trusted organization. Please read these tips on donating and volunteering responsibly.
FOR YOUR PETS:
The Humane Society of the United States, the New Jersey Office of Emergency Management, the New Jersey Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Agriculture have teamed up to launch a 24-hour hotline for New Jersey evacuees who were unable to bring their pets with them before Hurricane Sandy hit.
Hurricane Sandy Pet Rescue Hotlines
New York City hotline: 347-573-1561
New Jersey hotline: 1-855-407-HSUS
Evacuees with pets still at home or with emergency animal needs are urged to call the New Jersey Hurricane Sandy Pet Rescue hotline at 1-855-407-HSUS for assistance.
The New Jersey Hurricane Sandy Pet Rescue hotline is for animal emergencies only. People seeking immediate assistance for people in need should dial 911.
Find local resources
Get the latest information on pet-friendly emergency shelters and other local resources with The HSUS’s Twitter feed (visit link or the feed at the bottom of this page) andFacebook page. (Personal Twitter or Facebook accounts not necessary.) 11-4-12